Why need for Specialized Seminar on Livestock Insurance?
Under the leadership of Hon’ble Prime Minister Sh. Narendra Modi the initiative taken by the present Government is to double the farmer’s income in India by 2022. To achieve this multi-modal focus on all farming activities is proposed with special emphasis on Allied Agricultural activities such as veterinary etc.
As the growth of Crop/ Agriculture income has a limitation, therefore, thinking which has emerged is that farmers/ rural population should go in for more and more of:
- Dairy Farming
- Poultry Farming
- Rearing of Goat/ Sheep
- Bee Farming
- Silk Worm Production
In 2019, a separate Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying was created in the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry, and Dairying.
We intend to have this important seminar to discuss the importance of livestock Insurance which is a must for supporting our farmers/ families having livestock as a means for livelihood.
Target Audience will comprise of:
- Officials of Ministry of Animal Husbandry (Govt. of India)
- Officials of Ministry of Animal Husbandry (State Govt.)
- Officials& Scientists of National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal
- Banks/ NBFC/ Micro Finance Institutions providing livestock loans
- Insurance companies issuing Livestock (cattle ) Insurance policies
- Insurance Broking Firms selling livestock (cattle ) Insurance policies
- Senior Management & Officials from Milk Producer Co-operative Societies Like: Amul, Saras, Vila, Vijaya etc.
- Service Providers engaged in Tagging of animals
- Technology Companies working towards taking Livestock Insurance to the next level, when India emerges as 5 Trillion US $ economy.
Points to be covered in the Seminar are:
- Livestock Risk – Should Insurance be made mandatory?
- Quality of animals can be improved with investment through loans
- Investment & improvement of Veterinary infrastructure is needed in a big way to support the farmers
- Product innovation needed in Insurance
- What can we learn from other countries?
- Availability of Cheaper, sufficient loans is essential for the growth of this part of our economy.
Why farmers need Livestock insurance?
Importance of Livestock Insurance is increasing as more and more loans are being provided by Banks/ NBFC/ Micro Finance Companies for increasing the income of farmers, marginal farmers in all parts of the country. Insurance of Live Stock for the market value paid by the farmer is important to protect his family in the eventuality of the death of an animal.
Who Should Attend the Seminar (Target Participants)?
This is a good opportunity for management/ officials:
- Corporates & Co-operative Societies engaged in Dairy Farming, Milk Collection & Milk Processing
- Honey & Silk Producers
- Banks/ NBFC’S & Micro Finance Companies lending to Farmers
- Insurance Companies
- Reinsurance Companies
- Insurance Brokerage Firms
- Policy Makers at National and State level
- Associations Representing Various Segments Connected with this growth of Animal Husbandry/ Food Processing/ upliftment of society
- NGO’s working in the rural area promoting the growth of animal wealth of our farmers/ employment generation of those who are below BPL.
What you can expect from the Seminar?
Realize the difficulties being faced by Farmer’s possible solutions/ understand the Government thought process and growth potential of this great sector.
Some Key Take Away for Various Stake Holders will be:
- Understanding of the Needs of Farmers which will result in the growth of dairy farming, fisheries, poultry farming, bee farming & silkworm production
- Important Issues in Livestock Insurance
- Availability of credit supported with Insurance can result in growth
- Role of Technology in the monitoring of Claims
- Participation fee: 2000/- per participant.
- Individual Foreign Participant fee: US $ 125
This is non residential Programme, however, good reasonable hotels/ guest houses are available in surrounding areas such as Panchsheel Enclave, Hauz Khas, Greater Kailash & South Extension.
Programme Coordinator will be ready to assist you in arranging the same (if required)
Programme Coordinator, Insurance Foundation of India, Om Plaza, 430/7, 1st Floor, Sant Nagar, East of Kailash, New Delhi – 110065